Friday, June 22, 2012

Week 1: Initial Concerns/Solutions

I am wrapping up my first week at Civco Medical.  It has been a very informative week.  Before starting, I was very apprehensive.  I was entering a new environment and a new profession.  I have only ever known education, whether being a student or teacher, so this was scary.  Prior to this week, I came in for 2 days of orientation.  In those two days, I was able to spend time with different departments in the building.  I toured labeling and shipping and was able to speak with some of the employees about their jobs.  I then spent time shadowing a worker who built a CAD design from scratch to meet the specifications of a new prototype sent over from the engineers .  He then transferred his file from the computer to a machine where it cut out the design.  He had to verify all of the measurements and make sure the met the engineers specs.  I toured the mold room, where they took those manufactured pieces and used them as a mold to make parts.

The second day I spent time in the clean room, which is a positive pressure room, used to control the level of particles in the air.  Before entering the cleanroom, you enter a gowning area.  Here you put on a head cover, gown, and booties, as well as wash your hands thoroughly.  Once fully suited, you may enter the clean room.  However, only one door at a time may be opened to prevent air contamination.  In the clean room I was able to watch workers cut and fold covers, assemble product, wrap packages, and then send them through the mutlivac (machine that packages the product).  In the afternoon I met with the engineering team about what they work on and what some potential projects would be.  We came to the conclusion that I would work on finishing the project an extern started last year.

Starting Monday, my biggest concern was 'what exactly would I be doing?'  As a teacher, I know exactly what I'm doing- well most of the time anyway- but an engineer? I've never done anything close to this before.  I know teaching- I don't know the business side of things.  I wanted to make sure that I was learning something, but that I was also helping in some way and not being a burden.  Fortunately on Monday I was given a computer and my own work area.  I was shown where the files I'd be working on were located and what I'd be doing with them.  I had a task, and I knew how to accomplish it.  Throughout the week, questions have come up, but everyone is quick to answer my questions. 

As I've worked this week, a new concern has crept up.  Part of my task relies on having data (times) to input.  Unfortunately, it takes time to get time.  So I am at a standstill with my current project until we get some times to input.  I have talked with my supervisor and there are some other potential projects/ things for me to work on.  I have enjoyed my first week here and am looking forward to the next weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment